Follow

Keep Up to Date with the Most Important News

By pressing the Subscribe button, you confirm that you have read and are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use
Advertise

Sandro Tonali faces charges from the Football Association for suspected breaches of betting regulations following his transfer to Newcastle.

GettyImages

Sandro Tonali, a midfielder for Newcastle United, has been punished by the Football Association with misconduct for allegedly breaking betting regulations.

The 23-year-old is presently serving a 10-month sentence that was imposed in October for violating Italian betting regulations by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC).

In July, Tonali paid £55 million to move from AC Milan to Newcastle.

Advertisement

By putting 50 bets on games between August 12 and October 12, 2023, the FA claims Tonali violated its regulations.

The FIGC prohibited Tonali from placing bets on games involving his teams, Brescia and Milan. Fifa then approved the Italian federation’s request to have the ban extended globally.

The claims made against Tonali while he was a player for Newcastle are the subject of the FA charges.

“Newcastle United acknowledges a misconduct charge received by Sandro Tonali in respect of alleged breaches of FA Betting Rules,” the club said on Thursday.

“Sandro continues to fully comply with relevant investigations and he retains the club’s full support.”

His current ban means Tonali is not eligible to play again until August and will not feature at Euro 2024.

The Italy international, who was fined 20,000 euros (£17,380), was initially given an 18-month ban which was reduced after he agreed to take part in an eight-month “therapeutic plan” to help “recovery from gambling addiction”.

That will include Tonali making at least 16 public appearances in Italy, where he will be expected to speak to young players about the dangers of gambling.

Although he is unable to play in any matches, Tonali can train alongside his Newcastle team-mates during his ban.

Tonali, who has until 5 April to respond to the FA’s charges, had only made 12 appearances for Eddie Howe’s side before his suspension was imposed.

Last year Brentford striker Ivan Toney was given an eight-month for 232 breaches of the FA’s betting rules. He returned in January.

Former England and Arsenal midfielder Paul Merson, who says he was a “compulsive gambler” during his career, called Tonali and Toney’s bans a “disgrace”.

“To give people 10-month bans for an addiction that is ravaging football, with sponsorships all over the shirts… They needed help and I don’t think ‘help’ is giving them 10-month bans,” he said.

Add a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Keep Up to Date with the Most Important News

By pressing the Subscribe button, you confirm that you have read and are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use
Advertisement